Old 25-10-2011, 11:14 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Then comes the hard bit, a palm of this size, with a rootball will be very heavy, ideally you need some type of mechanical lifting device to winch it out but be careful to put good boards down to protect the slabs ??
There's a hilarious youtube video of someone taking a very large palm tree out with mechanical lifting gear, and then the tree falls over and destroys someone's expensive car. So there are other things you need to be careful about to, such as the law of gravity. Have some ropes and anchor points...

Reminds me of when I was a child, I thought if you took a wedge out of a tree trunk then it would fall that way when you cut it through, like on the animated cartoons. So I did that, and it fell the other way and broke a window...