Old 25-10-2011, 12:27 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum Grant View Post
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.
Dividing (major divisions) is the simplest method, however it is not guaranteed to work with all types of bamboo.

Rhizome cuttings are probably less physically demanding to achieve than major divisions. But they require greater skill in the nursery to take. Some bamboos will take from culm cuttings, but in general do not include any of the kinds that will grow in the UK.