Old 25-10-2011, 12:35 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
there is no such thing as a non spreading Bamboo,
True, but there is an important distinction between true clumping bamboos and running bamboos. The main kinds of true clumpers you can grow in Britain are Fargesia, Thamnocalamus and Borinda species, though some of these are large bamboos and will make large clumps. But none of them are going to send up a shoot 6 feet away or 20 feet away like some of the runners can. There is an intermediate kind, which are sort of clumping, but make very loose large clumps, so in practice they are more like running. Yushania is the main example of this in the ones you can grow here. Unfortunately it is very difficult to distinguish Yushania from Borinda and Fargesia taxonomically. Some Fargesia scabrida have been unusually rampant for a Fargesia, and may turn out to be a Yushania. Or there may be no clear distinction between these genuses, and all one can eventually say is that some are more clumping than others.

Some of the runners don't run very much in British growing conditions. Many people's Black Bamboo doesn't run, but other peoples' does, so it is hard to be precisely knowledgeable about what will happen in your case. I have 4 running bamboos in my garden and none of them has run .... yet! But then the well-drained Chiltern plateau is not exactly the kind of conditions that encourage such behaviour. Especially since I don't water or feed them very much.