Old 25-10-2011, 01:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn gone

On Oct 24, 5:22*pm, Steve Anderson
wrote:
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and by no means a gardener, but I could use some
advice please.
A few years back we re modelled the garden by putting in some decking,
added around a ton of topsoil to level it off and a nice new fence.
What I didn't do at the time was put in some kind of drainage for the
soil and because of that our lawns have always died at the lower side of
the garden. I thought I had cured it. Maybe you could let me know if
this is adequate but I dug a trench to below the fence, filled it with
large round stones. Then put a membrane over that and put bark on top
with a wooden border between it and the lawn. Unfortunately our lawn is
dying and is pretty water logged at one side. Apologies for the long
story but is this still happening due to the soil. If it is, *could you
also let me know how much of it to remove ie. do I have to take it all
away at the bad areas or do I just need a certain depth with new soil.
Thanks all

--
Steve Anderson

In almost all cases the solution to water problems are

A - To divert it away from where it's causing the problem
in some fashion, before it ever gets there. An example of
that is regrading to direct it away.

B - To take it away from the problem area. An example
of that is a drain system that takes the water to a lower
area via gravity or some kind of sump pump system
where gravity is not an option.

Just digging a trench and filling it with rock doesn't sound
adequate. Of course it depends on the size of the trench,
but all it's going to do is take some of the water. If the
ground area is already wet and unable to absorb water,
once the trench is full that's about all the good it's going to
do.