Old 25-10-2011, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Denture cleaners for plants?

On Oct 24, 4:57*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. *Included packets of denture cleaners. *Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. *Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

It could contain minerals that are there to act as mild abrasives such as
lime, look on the pack for the ingredients. *Of course this would be the
most expensive possible way to buy a small amount of such things.

If it does indeed include lime or anything else alkaline, DO NOT USE
IT!! *The soils and water in southern California all tend to be alkaline
already.

Actually, I use powdered sulfur repeatedly around most of my plants to
make the soil more acidic. *Only my dianthus, iris, and primulas prefer
alkaline soil. *My roses, azaleas, camellias, tea tree, citrus, heath,
liquidambar tree, and others all enjoy the sulfuric acid created as soil
bacteria slowly consume sulfur.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

You have a tea tree? I thought they only existed in Australia!

Are they hard to grow?

Thanks for the sulfur reminder. My soil is pretty balanced (I think)
but I'll pick up some sulfur just in case.

HB

HB