Old 26-10-2011, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default ok to plant peach tree now?

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 00:09:35 GMT, wrote:

I am in zone five, and planning to plant a peach tree asap. the only
tree I have found is Crimson Rocket which should work well in my smaller
yard. Nursery person says that this is good time to plant, however I am
reading that peach trees should be planted when they are dormant. I would
prefer to plant now but not sure.

I don't think peach trees do well in Zone 5, winters can be too
brutal. With limited space I'd not take a chance with peach trees. If
you had plenty of space to experiment I'd say go for it but odds are
not in favor of peach tree survival where temperatures are likely to
dive to the minus 20s and lower. And even under the best conditions
peach trees don't have longiviety. Peach isn't even a handsome tree,
there are much better choices for your climate... with limited space
I'd be thinking cherry trees, sour cherry trees are gorgeous and
valuable.