Old 27-10-2011, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Raspberry - Allgold

On Oct 26, 2:07*pm, Zanahoria
wrote:
Evening folks,

I have tried to find an answer everywhere on the net, yet it is not to
be found !

I recently bought 6 raspberry canes (sold as Allgold, but I believe
actually called Fallgold?) from Nottcutts in Maidstone. I just went in
for a look, bought them on impulse. I now know you're supposed to plant
them in November but it's only a week away so I hope it's not going to
make such a difference.

I planted them in the ground but after today's rain I realised my soil
is just too clayey, so I moved them to a big 60cm wide and about 2ft
deep round tub that had a loamy soil in it with compost. I put four of
the canes in that, an two of them in a long rectangular 15cm deep tub.

My question is: I've planted them in late October, but they will go
dormant. So will I see anything happening at all (perhaps just root
growth?) or will nothing happen until Spring? If they won't even grow
until Spring, how can I be sure they're even alive?

Also, I bought some Miracle Gro that smells like Marmite but having now
read the label, it says for fruit "start in Spring or when the fruit
starts flowering" so I guess it's useless to get the canes settled. What
should I get? bonemeal?

Someone please help, completely clueless. What an eejit, should have
done some more research !

Thanks in advance,

Tom

--
Zanahoria

Many REAL gardeners prefer to amend the soil rather than use the
fast fix of Miracle Gro. So since you have time ahead of you, perhaps
you could work on amending your clayey soil. I garden in an area of
adobe (clay) soil, so I work on adding compost, worm castings,
other elements that change the pH toward the äcidic. Easy to
research on-line, using keywords like "amend alkaline/clay soil",
"change pH" & so forth.

The time invested will pay off hugely down the line. Meantime,
your canes will probably be very happy in the containers with loamy
composted soil.

If you're worried about their being alive, just scratch along the cane
with your fingernail. You should see green if they''re alive. But
why wouldn't they be, dormant or not?

So don't panic; you have plenty of time to do your research. Just
send good thoughts, and adequate but not too much water to
your future raspberry bushes. (Mouth is watering...)

HB