Old 27-10-2011, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Not Enough Rain

On 27 Oct 2011 20:52:59 GMT, wrote:

wrote:
A row of Broad Beans has been planted.

My late-summer ones are flowering, but didn't get enough insects, so I think
they're done for. Last time I tried to over-winter, they flowered in
November and died. I may give it another go, but I don't have anywhere with
decent soil available. How are they for crappy soil? Mind you, if I did
them in the crappy bit, it wouldn't be available to put manure on.

My garden soil is of various parentage and its the first time that
I've tried Broad Beans; some of the soil is somewhat industrial but
it's been down to grass for twenty years or so. I'm not sure about
the parentage of the BB seeds either. (Provided by the FIL.)

I have three Dalek bins working away that I hope might provide
suitable compost for future years, hopefully busy digesting the
Butternut Squash plants which whilest prolific and fecund produced
fruits that were not desirable. The only manure available to me is
Cat and Fox; I would not use either.

The Root Ginger experiment has produced about a foot of foliage. The

Interesting. I've never tried growing root ginger.

Until now, neither have I. We'll see how it goes, I am not confident
about the results. I may need to bring the plant into the
conservatory as things get colder.

The Raspberries keep on coming - increasingly small and getting a bit
manky but nevertheless till worth harvesting. They weren't supposed
to be Autumn fruiting but the variability of their spininess suggests
that we may have a mix of strains.

The raspberries here seem to have finally given up, even the yellow ones.

I have acquired a largish electrically heated propagator so that I can
get the plants started off earlier next year.

Let us know when you get started.

It will be January/February, with Naga Chillies and Okra. Following
that probably some tomatoes so that they have a chance to ripen in the
open before the Blight sets in. Watch This Space.

Regards
JonH