Old 28-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Tefra Tefra is offline
Registered User

Default Very wet soil

Hello all, I'm new here and I wondered if anyone could help me.

I've just moved to a new house with a moderate sized garden that the previous householder had covered with gravel. I've shifted a small amount and pulled up the lining and the soil underneath is extremely wet, almost slimy. As I now live on the edge of the Brecon Beacons I can expect a good amount of rain, there's also a small stream about 50 yards away so it's a damp area generally.

Is there anything I can put down that's particularly good for very wet soil to give it some nutrients and body? At the moment I've just bunged down some straw on the small patch so I can at least walk on it to feed my chickens who don't seem to be enjoying the damp conditions much either.

I'd really appreciate any advice as I'm a new and fairly clueless gardener.

Thanks in advance.