Old 28-10-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Slippery decking

On Oct 28, 5:46*pm, AriesVal wrote:
On 28/10/2011 16:24, Jake wrote:

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:45:04 +0100, AriesVal
*wrote:

At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously
slippery. *In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee
which has never recovered. *I'm wondering, is there anything I can put
on the wood to make it safer to walk on?

I can think of three options (assuming the problem isn't a build-up of
algae which you can pressure-wash off):

1) Cuprinol make a non-slip decking treatment but probably the wrong
time of year to apply it;
2) Spread some silver sand across the decking and as you walk on it
that will just roughen the surface a bit;
3) Next summer when you *treat the decking and while the treatment is
still tacky, spread silver sand over it - a cheaper version of option
1.

Cheers, Jake

Thanks Jake, another good suggestion. *Does sound like I need to
pressure wash it anyway as this particular part of the decking is on a
walkway to the back of our garage so needs something doing to it now.

--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. *Anonhttp://ariesval.wordpress.com/- Hide quoted text -

If it's a permanant walk way then you could do what local councils do
on wooden decked bridges and nail down 3/4" wire netting.
David