Old 28-10-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steerpike Steerpike is offline

Default Otish - My New Camera

On Oct 28, 2:07*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:35:29 +0100, "Bill Grey"

wrote:

"Steerpike" wrote in message
On Oct 27, 11:34 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:49:36 +0100, Paul Corfield

wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:03:52 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

Posting to thank all those who gave advice in response to my post a
while ago about acquiring a new digital camera.

I took my time (and a lot of time of a very helpful chap in one of the
stores of a certain national chain) and ended up with a Canon
Powershot G12 (which I bought online). I thought that 342 with an
extra battery, case, SD card and mini tripod was a reasonable price so
please don't tell me I could have got it cheaper!

Who did you buy from at that price?

A rioter?

Looks like you've got a good
deal.

--

Martin

If money is an issue but you are interested in high quality results
you would have been far better of with a used DSLR, rather than a G12.
These cameras are just fine for anyone with limited photographic
ambitions, but the fact that you cannot change the lens, means they
are far from ideal for more serious photography.

Rubbish.

Jake never said he was interested in "Serious Photography", *anyway the
Canon G sereis are particularly fine cameras.

As for "anyone with limited photographic ambitions" - you do realise that
these cameras are very sophisticated with excellent lenses.

I have a Canon 5D Mkll DSLR and a G11. I *prefer the G11 for any macro plat
shots I take.

That puts your arguement in perstective.

Bill

The issue isn't money but "value for money". Having compared the Canon
with Lumix, Nikon and Fuji cameras, the Canon won it in my view (the
guy in the shop seemed to be edging me in that direction as well even
though he knew I wouldn't be buying that day). It'll suit my purpose
which is fun photography rather than "serious".

I gave up trying to follow the manual on screen so printed it out.
Close on an inch (2-sided printing). As I said, something to read
through the winter

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's about
the same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

The cat's web site is at pillie.me.uk.

I think if you had actually seen first hand how much better the
results are that you would get from a DSLR, then I dont think its
likely you would have taken the ridiculous sales blurb of the person
who put the G12 into you seriously!

Sure get a cheap point and shot to carry with you, but for anything
very vaguely serious a DSLR is going to work a whole lot better in
pretty much every situation.