Old 28-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Zanahoria Zanahoria is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Zanahoria, when you first plant raspberry canes, you need to cut them down to 9", this is to encourage them to make new growth on which they fruit. Then, every winter, you cut out the old fruiting canes and tie in the new canes on which they will fruit - the old canes you cut down will produce more new canes that will be your fruiting canes for the following year ! I'd be inclined to pepare a bed for these new canes rather than grow them in a tub, then you can erect a post and wire support on which to tie the canes. Good soil preparation is the key and if your soil is very wet and sticky, I'd be inclined to make a raised mound of compost/rotted manure and soil in which to plant slightly higher than the surrounding area.
regards, Lannerman.
Oh right, I have to cut them down even further?? They're about 10" long now with about 3 inches deep to the roots. Do I cut them now or wait until Spring?

I intend to move them in January/February when I prepare my garden patch, then put some posts in with wire across, but that's why I asked about growth, if they're not going to grow until Spring i.e. March, I don't see the harm in keeping them in the tub until then? It's just the tub is huge and full of really nice dirt, seems a shame to waste it, and I don't think it would be particularly cold, no colder than the ground anyway. Also (sorry to bore you) the way my garden is placed, where the tub is it gets the most sun coverage, and it's on concrete so I couldn't grow them there. By February hopefully they'll have formed a rootball and I can just ... transplant them.

These raspberries aren't as simple as I thought they might be...