Old 29-10-2011, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Sowing seed thinly

"Peter James" wrote ...

I have arthritis of the spine/neck and getting down to soil level is
difficult. When I need to sow seed I tend to rush the job, because it
hurts to bend, and consequently the seed is sown thickly.

In the case of my carrots, they are twisted and small because of this,
and also because I cover them up with fleece to keep the carrot fly off
them and thinning and weeding is not possible.

So can anyone advise me if the garden hand held seed drills I have seen
advertised are any good?
I am reluctant to spend money on a solution that doesn't work.

I've looked in the garden shops here in Cornwall, and I haven't seen
anything in their stocks that would be suitable.

I know that Wolf Garten sell one because I have it myself although I have
never used it, long story. Anyway, why not mix the carrot seed with dry sand
and sprinkle that in the drills, you can use a piece of plastic drainpipe to
guide the sand/seed into the right place.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK