Old 29-10-2011, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Raspberry - Allgold

On Oct 28, 3:28*pm, Zanahoria
wrote:
lannerman;940372 Wrote:

Hi Zanahoria, when you first plant raspberry canes, you need to cut them
down to 9", this is to encourage them to make new growth on which they
fruit. Then, every winter, you cut out the old fruiting canes and tie in
the new canes on which they will fruit - the old canes you cut down will
produce more new canes that will be your fruiting canes for the
following year ! I'd be inclined to pepare a bed for these new canes
rather than grow them in a tub, then you can erect a post and wire
support on which to tie the canes. Good soil preparation is the key and
if your soil is very wet and sticky, I'd be inclined to make a raised
mound of compost/rotted manure and soil in which to plant slightly
higher than the surrounding area.
regards, Lannerman.

Oh right, I have to cut them down even further?? They're about 10" long
now with about 3 inches deep to the roots. Do I cut them now or wait
until Spring?

I intend to move them in January/February when I prepare my garden
patch, then put some posts in with wire across, but that's why I asked
about growth, if they're not going to grow until Spring i.e. March, I
don't see the harm in keeping them in the tub until then? It's just the
tub is huge and full of really nice dirt, seems a shame to waste it, and
I don't think it would be particularly cold, no colder than the ground
anyway. Also (sorry to bore you) the way my garden is placed, where the
tub is it gets the most sun coverage, and it's on concrete so I couldn't
grow them there. By February hopefully they'll have formed a rootball
and I can just ... transplant them.

These raspberries aren't as simple as I thought they might be...

--
Zanahoria

Yo, Zanahoria, which is it? Trans. from Spanish:

1. botany carrot
2. Argentina dummy, nitwit