Old 30-10-2011, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Which Green Manure

anthony123hopki wrote:
Hi

I am looking at overwintering my plots with a green manure. I tried
this a couple of years ago. I found however that when it came to
digging it into the soil it was very difficult, and it kept growing
back.

Does anyone know of a green manure that I can just chop down and leave
the foliage on the surface to decompose with no risk of it growing
back. i.e. the process of chopping the foliage effectively will kill
the plant and the roots will decompose in-situ and the foliage on the
surface.

Thanks.

Not knowing what your winter is like it is hard to guess.

Try a rural feed/seed store. You want something that is an annual that
suits your winter. You keep control of it by cutting it (or the heads at
least) before the seeds are mature. The plant will die of its own accord
and unless you let some seeds escape you wan't have any more next year.
Oats, rye or millet are possibilities if they fit your climate.

David