Old 30-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Steve Anderson Steve Anderson is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On Oct 28, 2:27*pm, Steve Anderson
wrote:
Bob F;940408 Wrote:

Steve Anderson wrote:-

Thanks for the reply,
During the time I was building the run off trench the soil got a good
turnover and was left bare for at least 3 weeks while I was away
working. By the time I got round to laying the lawn it seemed fine.
Then the lawn lasted maybe a month or so then started to show signs
of dying in patches yet again. We live in Aberdeen and that was a
particularly heavy month of rain even for here.
It's interesting you mention grass types that are more suited to
wetter ground and shade as the area of lawn that always goes bad on
me doesn't get the sun. As you say perhaps another kind of ground
cover may be the answer but we like have a little grass and certainly
don't want to have a concrete jungle! I also thought about astro turf
but it's an expensive alternative that would still need proper
drainage.-

If it doesn't get any sun, most grasses are unlikely to survive. If it's
under
trees, there is a lot of competition for nutrients also. If you are in
Aberdeen
WA, you likely will need to compensate for acidic soil conditions also.

The garden gets plenty of sunlight but the fence shades the area that
keeps going bad,

A fence is never going to produce enough shade by itself
to keep any of the turf grasses from growing. So, suggest
you look elsewhere for the problem. For shade
to be a factor it has to be far more extensive. A classic
example of an area where shade is a problem would be on
the north side of a house that also has dense trees close by
further shading it.

also there is nothing else growing to steal the soils
nutrients. Again thanks for all the replies folks, I'll have a look into
seeing if my soil is acidic and have another go at putting it right in
the springtime. Wish me luck

Yes, testing the soil is a good idea. If no local ag agency, etc
is available, you can buy test kits either at a garden center or
online. They should be OK for testing the PH.

--
Steve Anderson- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I'll get myself a test kit when I get back home and see if that's my prob, thanks again for the advice