Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Hops

Steve B wrote:

Does anyone here grow hops?

My SIL in Portland, OR grows a trelise of them. They flowered just fine
the last time I saw them.

I don't know if your geography is too dry or hot for them.

I don't know if you can eat them, so apologies
to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

Herbs of various sorts are on topic for the group.

Let's see if I understand hops correctly - Like apples they do not breed
true so if you grow them from seed there is a very low chance the plant
will grow hops that taste good brewed into beer. As a result nearly all
hops are grown from cuttings or root stock of known good plants.