Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer?

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:20:37 +0000 (UTC),
(David Wee) wrote:

I also dropped on kH from 4 to 3 degrees. According to Chuck Gadd's chart,
(ph 7, kh 3), I have 9 ppM CO2 in my water. So I added a teaspoon of
crushed coral into my aquaclear sponge area, hoping to push teh kH back
from 3 up to at least 3.5. Is this a correct procedure?

If you intended to raise the CO2 level by increasing the KH, then no,
it's not the correct procedure. Raising the KH will also raise the
KH. In your example, you've got pH 7, KH3 giving a CO2 level of 9ppm.
If you raise the KH to 3.5, then pH will just rise close to 7.1,
giving the same 9ppm of CO2. The only way to increase the CO2 level
is to get more CO2 dissolved into the water.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua