Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default crop/dirt rotation, bean plant remains

On 2011-10-31, Spider wrote:

The beans (any legume, actually) will have produced nitrogen-fixing
nodules on their roots, and this is very good for brassicas, so you
could certainly do that. However, I once found masses of bean root
aphids on my runner bean roots, so make sure there's nothing nasty
lingering before you bury the bean roots. This, of course, goes for any
used compost or crop pest. Otherwise you can go ahead. Bear in mind,
though, that the brassicas will need a fairly heavy soil mix so that
they are not ripped out of the soil by windage on their (hopefully)
large leaves.

You could, however, put your ex-bean plants on the compost heap if you wish.

Thanks for the info. (Most of our containers are sheltered from the
wind by a fence, which seemed to work well this year.)