Old 03-11-2011, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ping David H-S reply

I know this looks silly but I only caught this question by accident as it
was threaded to some stuff of 5 months ago, so I have brought it up to date
as a new thread. Maybe OE is having another hissy fit... anyway, Fran asked
me:

FarmI wrote:
What's happening in your garden David. Have you got your tomatoes in
yet?

Yes weeks ago, I have small fruit on some.

Here we don't plant them till we know who won the Cup

Without getting too personal you must be on a mountain somewhere. I was up
at Sodwalls (near Lithgow) yesterday and they are just planting tomatoes
now. Last summer we lit the log fire there while the rest of Oz was at the
beach. You can keep it.

but I put in a
few protected by plastic sleeves a week or so prior to that. I
bought more Grosse Lisse yesterday (that is the best variety for long
term preservation TMWOT). But I'm now astounded to find out that
Grosse Lisse is considered to be and heirloom variety!!! Introduced
from France prior to circa 1950 so that makes it so according to
something I read.

They were very popular in the 50s and 60s. Spread by Yates I think.

Anyway, I am up to my kneecaps (and in some places, thighs) in weeds
and am trying to fight the good fight there. I cna't recall a better
Spring for years so will also have to do bushfire prep around the
places just in case.

We have had a great spring too. Up to the eyeballs in clover, stock all
fat. Flowers are bright, summer veges coming on well.

I have chickens coming- from an incubator - lost my lovely rooster
about a month ago so am trying to get one of his progeny from some
eggs from around the time of his death. So far 5 hatched and 4 left
alive.

Well our girls are doing well. Now I am looking for a rooster, I could get
a Heinz (57 varieties) for nothing as surplus cockerels are not always
eaten. But I would rather have an australorp that is not too pricey. I may
have to get a bantam hen too as none of them look at all interested in
sitting on eggs.

I must go as SWAMBO has just announced that the neighbour's weaners are in
after the aforementioned clover so Leila and Flynn must earn their keep.

David