Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default crushed oyster shells as potting soil additive?

On 11/02/2011 07:18 PM, Janet wrote:
I use shell grit (from the beach, rinsed) but only on lime lovers like
clematis and brassicas.
For potting acid lovers I buy a sharp grit from the gravel quarry.

My hope was that the shell grit would be coarse enough that it would
only slowly leach into the soil. I didn't look closely enough to see
that there was lots of powder in the bag...

Lucky you to have a gravel quarry at hand! The shell is cheap, about
0.80 EU/kg, as opposed to fine aquarium gravel -- which would do the job
admirably -- at around 3 EU/kg.

Most maples, including the Japanese varieties, are not particularly acid
loving, contrary to popular opinion. They do fine in neutral to lightly
alkaline soil.

Our soil is naturally quite acid, 5 to 5.5 depending on the spot. So we
don't have a lot of lime lovers. I guess I'll need to give the shell to
someone who keeps chickens. Probably get a few dozen good eggs out of
the deal, anyway!

-E