Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Hops

FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And since hops are used in beer , I consider them edible . My
non-drinking Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I
have no idea why or what she used them for , but she wouldn't have
let them grow if she didn't have a use for 'em .

The tips of the hops are edible and the hop flowers are used when
making home made yeast. Did she bake her own bread?

Not only her own , she was a cook at the local high school for many years
.. I've heard she was very good , I do know that Sunday Dinner at Granny's
house was something I never missed willingly .
--
Snag
Learning keeps