Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default crop/dirt rotation, bean plant remains

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 07:33:19 +0000, Adam Funk

On 2011-10-31, wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
So I'm thinking of dumping the dirt out of the bean container into
another one for growing brassicas, and dumping the dirt used for
something else into the bean container. (I'll mix compost in too.)
Is this sensible, or am I missing something?

... can you not just plant brassicas in the bean one and beans in the
brassica one, rather than all that soil moving around?

That would be my first choice, except that the bean container is ideal
for growing beans. ;-)

Hi Adam. OT: Although Australian is my native tongue ("Our land is
dirt by sea"), I'm uncomfortable at seeing soil called "dirt".

What you suggest seems reasonable, as long as you feed the soil up and
watch out for pests and diseases - and, as already advised, stiffen up
the stuff intended for brassicas.

As a matter of great interest, how did your container-grown beans and
brassicas do? And how big are the containers?

--
Mike.