Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default crushed oyster shells as potting soil additive?

On 04/11/2011 09:33, Emery Davis wrote:
On 11/02/2011 08:24 PM, stuart noble wrote:

I've used fullers earth cat litter in the garden and it behaves like any
other clay. Goes rock hard in summer so that water runs off it.

Hi Stuart,

Someone just sent me this link which may be of interest:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/wisley/2008/100908/log.html

The good stuff is "Tesco Premium Cat Litter." Interesting discussion
about the cost of cat litter versus identical horticultural additive
(litter is 3 times cheaper).

-E

Many thanks. Our cat is sadly no more, but I shall be off to Tesco asap :-)

The photo looks like gravel and I'll be interested to see what happens
to it when it has been wetted and then dried out again. I suppose the
clay ball type of growing media used in hydroponics might be similar?
I'll google the molar clay.

Although I'm a big vermiculite fan, I do wonder whether in winter it
maybe holds a little too much moisture. I use it 1:4 with general
purpose compost, but a little goes a long way.