Old 05-11-2011, 12:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Calcium

On Nov 3, 7:44*am, "
wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:52*pm, Shanghai wrote:

Hi all - I'm in NW Florida, and I've been fighting crabgrass & Virginia
buttonweed since Hurricane Ivan blessed us a while back. Most of the
weeds are around the edge of my yard, at the concrete. I recently read
that both weeds were indicators of low calcium. My question is what's
the best way to apply calcium? TIA.

I don;t know about the Virginia Buttonweed, but crabgrass
grows just fine in all kinds of soil, including soil with normal
calcium levels. *You can have the soil tested to find out
what, if anything, it needs. *I would do that before embarking
on any calcium addition.

Calcium in the form of limestone, lime or slaked lime is generally
used to raise pH.
Never heard of the element itself as lacking.