Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Hops

FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

My
non-drinking Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I
have no idea why or what she used them for , but she wouldn't have
let them grow if she didn't have a use for 'em .

The tips of the hops are edible and the hop flowers are used when
making home made yeast. Did she bake her own bread?

Not only her own , she was a cook at the local high school for many
years . I've heard she was very good , I do know that Sunday Dinner
at Granny's house was something I never missed willingly .

As you say, she wouldn't have grown them if she didn't have a use for
them so now I'm wondering about that bread. Do you know if she made
her own yeast? Can you remember if she had a pottery crock or a
bottle that she set in a warm place and in which she made her yeast
using hops, potato, flour and sugar? She wouldn't have refrigerated
it and it isn't a sourdough - it's a hop yeast that is quite and old
fashioned recipe.

She may very well have made her own yeast , but I was a small child at
that time . I do remember a pottery crock that she made pickles in . Crunchy
dills , and some of the best "bread and butter" pickles you ever ate . I
wish we had her recipes , but Dad's brother snatched all that when she
passed . Along with a lot of other stuff .
--
Snag
Pickled beets too , and they had a garden the size of a city building lot