Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Mr Noname

Default Need some plant suggestions plz

Thanks for the input!

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer . .
sorry

By a "Natural Envrinment" what I am aiming at is a 75g tank with no
artificial filtration. The only thing I intend to add that is not 100%
natural is something I came across called undergravel jets, but this
provides more water movement than any realfiltration. With this in mind I
need something to perform water cycling (trying to avoid setting up a sump).
I have had great difficulty finding any info regarding the Lake Malawi
biosphere. It is looking more and more like I may not get what I have
envisioned, but the quest continues

I realize they like to dig and was hoping to choose fish less prone to
digging if at all possible. To relieve or lessen aggression I have found
many articles that indicate it would be good to have a male to female ratio
of 1:3 or 4 as well as plenty of rockwork. I don't see a big problem there
as I plan to have a fairly small number of fish in the hope that the large
choice of territory coupled with no plants close to where they may consider
spawning may lessen the digging. working on a 1:3 ratio as mentioned
previously I was initially thinking 3 types of fish and a scavenger or 2 for
a total of 14 fish, this leaves plenty of room for staking terretorial
caims, and should not create a huge nitrate problem (hopefully)

Now, back to the issue of plants . . .
There are undoubtedly more than just a handful of plants in Lake Malawi, or
some other means of keeping the environment habitable for cichlids.
This is my primary goal. To create, as best I can, this envirnment as it
occurs naturally.

OK, I think I have rambled on long enough
If your original suggestion still stands, thanks for the suggestions
otherwise . . .
feed me more!

Cheers

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I am gathering info before embarking on creating a "natural environment"
lake malawi tank. I need some information regarding plants that will do

well
in a high (8.0-8.6) ph environment. what I would like at this point is

some
links or a list of plants that are normally found in lake malawi and

their
location..

There are many plants that will grow in that pH. However, there aren't

many
that are native to Lake Malawi that are commonly available in the trade.
Malawi biotope tanks are usually just rock. Partly because Lake Malawi

isn't
exactly a lush underwater garden, but also because it's difficult to keep
cichlids with plants.

In general, Malawi cichlids need a lot of rockwork. This helps them set

up
territories and reduces aggression. That means there's less physical room

for
plants. Plus, many cichlids eat plants, and/or uproot them with their
characteristic digging.

Vallisneria grows in Lake Malawi. The species sold in pet stores are

usually
American or Asian, but all Vals look alike, so no one will know it's not
native. g Plant it in pots to keep the fish from digging it up. If

you're
willing to cheat a little, Java fern and Anubias are hardy plants that

many
fish don't eat. They can be tied to rocks, which should keep them safe

from
diggers.

You can also use water sprite as a floating plant. It will help absorb
nitrate. (Nitrate is often a problem in Malawi tanks. They must be kept
densely stocked to reduce aggression, and that means nitrate builds up

fast.)

Leigh