Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Redcurrant issue

On Nov 6, 4:33*pm, David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 *Spider wrote:

I'm trying to root redcurrant cuttings, and getting nowhere. The last
of 3 batches of cuttings is now dying. They've been 2-3" long, with
most of the leaves taken off to slow water use, planted fairly deeply,
in compost thats kept almost wet, and with a variety of remaining leaf
areas. The results? In every case they look ok for a bit, but after
many days they very slowly die, starting at the outer leaf edges,
moving inward. No sign of rooting was ever found afterwards. Light
levels have varied from direct sun in batch 1 to more or *less no
direct sun in batch 3.

What am I dont wrong? How can I get them to work?

I've never tried to root redcurrants, but I don't think one starts with
3" cuttings. *This sounds as if you're using soft tip cuttings when, in
fact, you'd probably be better off using 9-10" hardwood cuttings in a
slit trench. *I will check my propagation guide and come back to you.

I agree with that. You need much longer cuttings and the wood needs to
be ripe. Don't try to root cuttings with leaves on but wait until
November/December and then do it. You'll find that next spring about 90%
of them will start growing. Always do more than you think you're going
to need to allow for failures.

David

ahh thank you I'll do that. I read somewhere that 2" cuttings also
work, but... they arent doing.

cheers, NT