Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Redcurrant issue

NT wrote:
I'm trying to root redcurrant cuttings, and getting nowhere. The last
of 3 batches of cuttings is now dying. They've been 2-3" long, with
most of the leaves taken off to slow water use, planted fairly deeply,
in compost thats kept almost wet, and with a variety of remaining leaf
areas. The results? In every case they look ok for a bit, but after
many days they very slowly die, starting at the outer leaf edges,
moving inward. No sign of rooting was ever found afterwards. Light
levels have varied from direct sun in batch 1 to more or less no
direct sun in batch 3.

What am I dont wrong? How can I get them to work?

Umm. I may be completely off the mark here, but ... it's autumn. My
redcurrant plants are all already leafless and wintery. I am not surprised
yours are losing their leaves.

I would have thought spring cuttings would be more likely to get somewhere.
Maybe if you leave the ones you have that are losing their leaves until
spring, they might leaf up again?