Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBoy View Post

I need some help please!

I am doing some work with children with severe learning disabilties (SLD) and one of the projects is to get the children to look after indoor plants during the winter. First thing is we have a budget that needs to buy 12 plants so I was thinking about £4 to £8 max per plant. What plant should I get?

Requirements:
- Indoor plant
- Easy to maintain but also that you can see change at least week to week. So potentially something that flowers
Winter is not the best season for growing plants!

Best bet would be bulbs, and I'd suggest Hippeastrum, which should be within your budget. You'd also need pots and potting compost. They put out a small tuft of leaves, then concentrate on a flower stem which lengthens visibly on a daily basis till it's between 18 and 30 inches (depending on light levels - best to go for more light and a shorter sturdier stem). You get about 4 flowers per stem about 6 inches across, pink, white, red or various stripey effects.Then the leaves start growing in earnest till they're about two feet long.

Hyacinths are another tempting option, but a bad idea as they cause skin irritation in some people, which means that shops now provide plastic gloves for their customers to allow them to pick out the bulbs they want.

Daffodils and crocuses also work, but can fail - crocuses, in particular, are dodgy and abort their flowers if you keep them too warm.