Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Advice on indoor plant

On 07/11/2011 06:30, ThatBoy wrote:
Dear Garden Banter,

I need some help please!

I am doing some work with children with severe learning disabilties
(SLD) and one of the projects is to get the children to look after
indoor plants during the winter. First thing is we have a budget that
needs to buy 12 plants so I was thinking about £4 to £8 max per plant.
What plant should I get?

Plant or plants? If I were you I would aim for £2 a plant then you can
afford some replacements when the inevitable happens. If you try a few
different sorts then you stand a chance of finding some they can't kill!

It is a tall order to keep plants growing and flowering in winter
without them going leggy but some that might fit the bill and be tough
enough to survive some abuse include:

Prefering dry conditions Pelargoniums, Kalanchoe, Euphorbia Pulcherrima,
Christmas Cactus. Tolerant of over watering Bizzy Lizzie, Spider plant
(Chlorophytum comosum). Some of these can be very easily propogated so
if you do it right you should never need to buy any more.

I'd hedge your bets with a mixture of plants until you find what works
best in the situation. You may be able to scrounge some of these...

Requirements:
- Indoor plant
- Easy to maintain but also that you can see change at least week to
week. So potentially something that flowers

Best,

Thatboy

--
Regards,