Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on indoor plant

On 2011-11-07 10:12:22 +0000, Jeff said:

On 07/11/2011 06:30, ThatBoy wrote:
Dear Garden Banter,

I need some help please!

I am doing some work with children with severe learning disabilties
(SLD) and one of the projects is to get the children to look after
indoor plants during the winter. First thing is we have a budget that
needs to buy 12 plants so I was thinking about £4 to £8 max per plant.
What plant should I get?

Requirements:
- Indoor plant
- Easy to maintain but also that you can see change at least week to
week. So potentially something that flowers

You might want to look at treated bulbs such as hyacinth or paperwhite
daffodil. The latter will most certainly start to grow and be in
flower by Christmas. The flowers of both are scented, too, which will
be a bonus as a different sensory stimulus for the children.

Other small pots of bulbs would give some continuity and perhaps flower
early in the new year - snowdrops, crocus, and dwarf iris come to mind.

I would expect that the children are carefully monitored. One thing I
would be careful of with any plants you choose would be to make sure
they do not eat any part of them.

Sorry to butt in here but if using bulbs, don't let the children touch
those which are treated for indoor flowering at Christmas. There's some
preparation on them which can cause intense itching if fingers touch
faces after touching bulbs!

That's a good point. But I would guess that it might be true of many
bulbs, not just the treated ones for indoor flowering. It's probably a
fungicide of some sort.

I haven't bought bulbs for ages, but ISTR that some garden centres were
making disposable polythene gloves available for those wishing to select
and pack the bulbs themselves.

--

Jeff