Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Ash question

On Nov 7, 12:43*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says....

It's getting cold now and we're starting to use
the log/coal burner and will be getting quite a
lot of ash in the coming months.
My question is, will this ash be beneficial to the
soil on my allotment or should I just bin it ??

* Pure wood ash (from trees)is worth using, even saving it dry in an old
dustbin. We used all our woodash in the garden.

*I wouldn't use wood ash from treated timber, or coal ash on soil used for
food crops, because of the possible (toxic) trace metal content.

* Janet

In my youth we had heavy clay and all ash went onto the garden where
we grew veg, but in those days they hadn't invented toxic trace
metals, burned around a ton of coal, a ton of coke and around 2 tons
of logs, we did riddle the ashes to re use the larger bits.