Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default power was tree help

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/6/11 2:42 PM, Kay Lancaster wrote [in part]:

When choosing trees, it's also useful to look
up --- here in Oregon, we live with trees heavily butchered for
power line clearance, a sad sight indeed for a mighty old oak or a
flat-topped doug fir.

In southern California, the utilities lop off the tops of palms for
power line clearance. Of course, this kills the palms. However, they
leave the trunks standing. When dry, a dead palm trunk can burn like
gasoline and destroy the power lines above it.

Here we have two different departments who work together. The
Beautification Department plants trees under power lines. The
Uglification Department cuts the centre out of them to stop them
touching the lines.

and here people can tell the power company not to trim the trees and
vines. That's a mistake and half.

I was referring to the urban situation of the two Departments. They produce
street after street with avenues of U-shape trees! I am rural and the
issues are somewhat different.

You can't prevent the power company from clearing the line here. First
every neighbour would curse you if you grew (or left) a tree near the wire
that came down and blacked out the district, secondly the power company has
an easement over the strip of land where the line goes so they have the
legal right to cross your property and deal with it (on the easement)
whether you like it or not. They have a helicopter that inspects the line
about once a year and the cutting contractor follows. I suppose this would
be called fascism in some places but it is practical and other than the
'copter annoying the horses does no harm.

A sensible solution must be out there - I'd prefer underground
utilities personally. Or a realistic cutback policy. I really don't
want to buy a generator but I'm getting too old for 6-9 days with out
power.

Underground would be nice but way too expensive here where there are few
subscribers to pay for it.

David