Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Ash question

On Nov 8, 9:45*am, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:31:32 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:59:29 -0000, "Wally"
wrote:

It's getting cold now and we're starting to use
the log/coal burner and will be getting quite a
lot of ash in the coming months.
My question is, will this ash be beneficial to the
soil on my allotment or should I just bin it ??

Wally

Wood ash is strongly alkaline, containing a lot of potash and lime.
Great for raising the pH of your soil and improving the texture of
heavy clays, but keep it away from lime-haters such as rhododendrons
etc. Some people let it weather before applying it. Planting into soil
freshly treated with raw ash may burn the plant roots, as with quick
lime.

I'll start saving mine in a bucket for my clay covered plot!

* I used to save some dry, to spread in circles *around planted-out
brassica seedlings. Slugs hate crawling over ash, and tha rain takes the
potash down to the roots.

* *Janet.- Hide quoted text -

I remember when I weas young we used to save the soot from when the
chimneys were swept and use that the same way, taking care not to get
any on the plants.