Old 09-11-2011, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Todays Dahlias

"Dave Hill" wrote ...

Sacha wrote:
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Dave Hill" wrote ...
Sacha,
These are between 6ft and 7.5ft
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...1/stella01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...1/stella02.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...icottree01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...icottree02.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...011/Noname.jpg

And lastly I spoted this little friend on the Apricot dahlia when I
was going through then this evening.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pricottreevisi...

Lovely, I used to have Hill House's D. imperialis which was spectacular
in leaf but I never got it to flower as I grew it outside, still got to
14ft or more in a season. I know you have the same plant but it does
not grow so tall and it flowers earlier (before the frost kills it), do
any of your's have spectacular foliage like the tall one? I ask because
I'd like one.

What you want - I say with authority (!) is the Dahlia excelsa we got
from David. It grows to about 5' or so here and needs very beefy
staking in the winds we get but it is a spectacularly beautiful flower
and is still flowering and budding now in our garden. I am really
enamoured of this plant so I hope David still has it. D. imperialis
grows outside with us and is a curiosity but it rarely flowers outside.
Otoh, in the greenhouse, it will go up the double height, poke its
head out of the roof and flower then.

The D. Imperialis I have came from suttons seeds last year as part of
an offer, very good stock though they were only 6ft till they started
to throw the flower buds, since then they have put on another 2 ft.
I lost a lot of the tree dahlias I was growing last year, but I think
I saved a good selection; it's hard deciding to scrap a strain, so
last winter did that for me as I had to save the best first.
Four of my favourites are shorter, growing to only 6ft this year
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...adsunset01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...011/newred.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...RoseSunset.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Snowwhite.jpg
But then I like the ones I posted yesterday,

Are these available for me to purchase David? Especially Trinidad Sunset.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK