Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default uhoh

The Cook wrote:
The directions on my purchased green soybean seeds say:
"Any good garden soil will grow soybeans. After last frost in
spring, sow about 6 -10 seeds/ft., 1" deep, rows 15 - 30" apart
depending on method of cultivation. Reduce seeding rate somewhat for
more narrow row spacing. Thinning is not necessary."

Sounds pretty much like most beans I have grown.

4 inches minimum between plants. rows a foot
apart is fine. after they get going you will not
be able to walk between the rows anyways, but the
plants support each other so having them too far
apart means they might get blown over.

if you want a pathway you'll need 5ft at
least. plants i grew this year went over a
three foot spacing (strawberries and row of
wax and green beans next to the strawberries,
soybeans in the middle) and still flopped out
over into the surrounding pathway. i've already
decided next year to plant the soybeans in two
bigger patches (instead of the seven small
patches i did this year) because they overgrew
so much of the plants around them. they can
lean on each other. i'll probably double my
productivity of the other bean patches this way.

songbird