Old 13-11-2011, 11:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] rainman@mailinator.com is offline

Default Dwarf Lemon Woes (Melbourne)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:48:57 +1100, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

We planted a dwarf lemon about three years ago. It flowers, but not
abundently and seems to produce a few little starter fruits about 2
to 3mm in diameter, but they all drop off after a few days. If you
touch one that's sstill attached, it dropos off immediately. It's a
"Lots A' Lemons".

I have seen examples of this plant in 250mm pots with in excess of a
dozen mature fruit on each plant. So they do fruit well at a young
age.

It's in in a terracotta pot with internal measurements 520mm dia by
510mm deep. The pot previously had a cumquat bush that thrived
(cumquat marmalade in big batches - yum), but I totally replaced the
old dirt with terracotta potting mix.

Was the original plant in a 200mm pot? If so, 520mm diameter is too
big. I would have put it in a 300mm pot to start.

Why?

They retain too much moisture if put in too big a pot, this leads to root and/or collar
rot.