Old 13-11-2011, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Armaryillis

On 11/13/11 7:36 AM, mj wrote:
This thing is growing like crazy BUT it looks like the bloom is going
to be without much of a stem. What causes this in bulbs? My Tulips do
the same thing in the spring. Is there anything I can do?
MJ

The first question is whether this is Amaryllis belladonna (often called
'naked lady' because it flowers when not in leaf) or some species of
Hippeastrum (commonly called 'amaryllis'). See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html to distinguish
them.

"Amaryllis in a box" is usually Hippeastrum. This sends up a flower
stalk at the same time new leaves sprout from the bulb. Indoors, the
bulb requires strong indirect light (e.g., in a north window or behind
shade cloth in an east or west window).

Hippeastrum should be planted outdoors only in mild-winter areas. While
a light, overnight frost will not really injure them, they cannot
withstand an actual freeze.

Indoors or outdoors, Hippeastrum can be an evergreen bulb and thus
requires some water year round. In a good location and with adequate
water and fertilizer, it may bloom 2-3 times a year. Water should be
withheld only if the bulb goes dormant by itself without being forced
into dormancy. On the other hand, A. belladonna does go dormant, which
can be forced; it blooms once a year towards the end of its dormancy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see