Old 14-11-2011, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Pests, can you ever beat them?

Baz wrote:
I've netted my brassicas with fine mesh, this kept the cabbage white
butterflies and pigeons out, however it has supplied a safe environment
for mice, who have rewarded me by eating my young spring cabbage plants.
Sigh

Very disheartening, pigeons were having a go at mine so out came the
netting, no sign of mice yet.(fingers crossed)

Broad beans are just poking through and already are getting attacked.

I have 1 bed of brassicas and broad beans atm, which are both doing well,
apart from some white fly on the kale. Touch wood, no piegons, mice,
butterflies, anything. And no black fly on the broad beans.

Unfortunately the braod beans are in late flower, and not being pollinated,
so too late for summer, too early for over-wintering. :-(