Old 15-11-2011, 12:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance[_6_] View Post
It's a few years since I grew chili peppers but I did it again this
year: cayenne, jalapeno and anaheim. The hottest is supposed to be the
cayenne but, for some reason, they are not as hot as they should be. In
fact, they are quite mild - I can put a piece in my mouth and it doesn't
skin my tongue. I still have some dried cayenne chilis from a few years
ago and they are certainly hot. Growing conditions are exactly the same
in my conservatory.
Allegedly, the heat depends on how warm it was when they were ripening. I know you say the conditions in your conservatory were the same but if you had a miserable summer this year (we did in Yorkshire) it's possible that the conservatory was less warm. Or perhaps that they were a bit slower growing so that the ripening was later and therefore in a cooler part of the year.