Old 15-11-2011, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why aren't my chilis hot this year?

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:10=A0pm, David Rance wrote:

It's a few years since I grew chili peppers but I did it again this
year: cayenne, jalapeno and anaheim. The hottest is supposed to be the
cayenne but, for some reason, they are not as hot as they should be. In
fact, they are quite mild - I can put a piece in my mouth and it doesn't
skin my tongue. I still have some dried cayenne chilis from a few years
ago and they are certainly hot. Growing conditions are exactly the same
in my conservatory.

Does anyone have any idea why this should be?

Probably to do with H&S. Not allowed to sell the hot ones any
more. :-)

They've been wethered, actually :-)

Despite the common (Merkin?) misbelief that the key to heat is whether
they get enough water, the most common cause that I know of is lack
of warmth and/or sunlight - a FAR more common problem here. Of course,
Jalapeno IS a mild chilli, anyway, and is usually eaten whole, seeds
and all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.