Old 15-11-2011, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Why aren't my chilis hot this year?

"David Rance" wrote

It's a few years since I grew chili peppers but I did it again this year:
cayenne, jalapeno and anaheim. The hottest is supposed to be the cayenne
but, for some reason, they are not as hot as they should be. In fact, they
are quite mild - I can put a piece in my mouth and it doesn't skin my
tongue. I still have some dried cayenne chilis from a few years ago and
they are certainly hot. Growing conditions are exactly the same in my
conservatory.

Does anyone have any idea why this should be?

As Nick says, it's more to do with weather than water, at least that has
been my experience. I've tried flooding them for a few weeks before harvest
and keeping them on the dry side and not noticed a difference. If you want
Hot try "Thai Dragon" next year, I think Nick grows that one too, and they
certainly crop well out on our plot.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK