Old 15-11-2011, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Why aren't my chilis hot this year?

wrote in :

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

As Nick says, it's more to do with weather than water, at least that
has been my experience. I've tried flooding them for a few weeks
before harvest and keeping them on the dry side and not noticed a
difference. If you want Hot try "Thai Dragon" next year, I think Nick
grows that one too, and they certainly crop well out on our plot.

Not this year, for various unrelated reasons, but it does well with
me and is decently hot (without being ridiculous). It also tastes
good, whereas I find the Scotch bonnet type don't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Whether this is of any use, I don't know.
What I have done is buy some chillies from the local International
Supermarket and keep the seed from the ones WE like the most.
We have some that are pleasingly warm with the flesh but the seeds are
searingly hot, to very hot flesh and the seed is almost tasteless.
Snag is that I don't the names of any of them but I am willing to give
seeds because I have so many.

I can setup a disposable e-mail account if anybody wants some seeds.

Baz