Old 15-11-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Happy anouncement

On 2011-11-14 17:06:11 +0000, Dave Hill sa

id:

It is with great pleasure I can anounce the arival of not one but 2
flowers on my Dahlia Imperialis, and more expected over the next few
days frost allowing.
David Hill
Hope to take pics tomorrow.

Now - are we going to argue about this? *;-)) Is your D. imperialis
what *we* call D. imperialis? *I know we've had this discussion before
without resolution, I think. *Ours grows to double storey height in the
greenhouse and about 12' in the garden. *It only flowers in the garden
in very warm, prolonged summers. * *It's a single flower and not
exactly a show-stopper in itself. *it's the height that gives it the
'oomph' factor. *I have a feeling (following more discussions with Ray
and after the email from the delightful man from The Garden) that what
you call D. imperialist, we call D. excelsa etc. * Back to Philips &
Rix, perhaps?!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

NO Sacha
What I am calling Dahlia Imperialis IS Dahlia Imperialis.
I got a tuber last year that is genuine and virus freel, I measured
one of the leaves a couple of days ago and it was 20 inches long.
This is a picture I took last weekhttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/
taffy4u2/2011/Imperialisbuds.jpg
David

I'll try to take a pic of ours later but it's not flowering and I doubt
it will. *It looks very similar. I'll also take a photo of D. excelsa
in the garden.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

As promised, took these just before lunch
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ralis1511a.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ralis1511b.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ralis1511c.jpg
The next shows a leaf of Imperialis with a sharpi marker pen to show
size
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ralis1511d.jpg

And flitting about amongst the plants was this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...vbutterfly.jpg
David