Old 15-11-2011, 07:58 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbutler View Post
I have finally got a place of my own and I have taken some cuttings from my mothers plants most of them I can identify but these three puzzle me.

1. The first pant has thick leaves that are not shiny they are mainly green with frosted tips on the end and produce lovely red berries for the birds.

2. The second plant resembles the Euonmus but at its full size it only goes to knee height and the plant is 26 years old!!!

3. The final plant I know is some form of fern but has a blue tinge and is incredibly soft to touch not like ones I have seen at the garden centre.

4. The fourth plant keeps its leaves right up until January they come back end of February with gorgeous baby pink flowers.

I have taken heel cuttings and they seem to be doing ok so far although it’s only been a week I am optimistic. Sadly the same cannot be said about the fourth plant and I think I might need to do a hardwood cutting (rather than semi-ripe) as I tried softwood cutting earlier in spring which failed, does anyone else have a suggestion?
Hi Ihbutler, the first one is a shrub called Skimmia and will root readily. It grows well anywhere but will also grow in heavy shade. It has very scented spring flowers. Your mothers plant is either one of the hermaphrodite varieties (male and female flowers on the same plant) or a female variety (hence the berries)
No2 . Yes, it is a Euonymous but as you have said, its a low prostrate variety called 'Emerald and gold' and looks nice all year. Again this will root quite easily from cuttings. Often if you look underneath the shrub, you'll find odd shoots that have rooted into the ground, that can be removed and transplanted !
No3. Its a conifer and not a fern and goes by the name of Chamaecyparis pisifera Squarrosa 'Boulevard' (probably the most likely variety from the picture) Its a slow growing conifer but with beautiful 'steely-blue' foliage. a little more difficult from cuttings but heeled cuttings should work !
No4 Now i'm not sure about this as its hard to tell the size of the leaves but its either some type of salvia or some other similar perennial. I'd leave it until the spring, then cut it back and take softwood cuttings from the new growth but theres no harm in trying now !
regards, lannerman