Old 16-11-2011, 07:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Doug[_8_] Doug[_8_] is offline

Default This pond group is dead

On 16-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

On 11-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:
It sounds like you have a raccoon problem. They're very destructive
and
come around late at night. Large herons will also turn over pots. A
neighbors dog got into my smaller pond one time and made a real mess. I
don't think there was one plant that wasn't overturned or broken.

How horrible! Its news to me that ponds are liable to attack. I have had

two
small fishless ponds for some years, which contained newts and frogs,
and
they were never attacked but since I have had the fish the attacks have
begun. A neighbours dog showed a great deal of interest in the fish but
intervened quickly to prevent any damage. Most of the time though my
fish
hide from view and are very timid.

Doug.

Posted from London, England, where foxes and cats are prevalent in
gardens
at night.

We found to our sorrow that here in the USA a lot of predators attacked
our
ponds. Kingfisher birds, the mentioned herons, bullfrogs, water snakes and

turtles, raccoons, the occasional cat, dogs... if ponds are not protected
in
some way the fish will be lost. I used nets when I had fish. Now the
ponds
are just whatever nature brings, mainly newts, water turtles and
frogs/pollywogs.

I just didn't realise before I bought the fish that they would attract so
many problems. Previously I had two fairly natural ponds, one very small but
still populated by newts, frogs and various bugs. Both ponds required little
attention and were actually neglected and covered in an invasive layer of
pondweed but still seemingly rich in wildlife. My big pond plastic liner
started to leak after a few years so I invested in an expensive rubber liner
and installed some plants and a fountain and then the fish. I am now
wondering if the wildlife will return to the ponds in the spring. I doubt
that small newts, etc can exist along with the fish. The fish are cute but I
am tempted to return them to the shop or another pond person if various
predators don't get them first!

Doug.