Old 17-11-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hunky Farrel Hunky Farrel is offline

Default black hills spruce

Brooklyn1 schrieb:
"pacca" wrote:

I have beautiful black hills spruce that is about 60 feet high,over 20 yrs
old,I noticed some of the branches are turned brown ,all in the inner part
of the tree,the out side seems fine.I live in Wisconsin,should I be
concerned about this. thanks.

It's difficult to say without pictures. This time of year spruce
tends to shed inner needles, first they brown and then drop... the
tree should rejuvenate in spring with new growth at its outer
perimeter. Older conifers tend not to stay green at their inner
portions due to the outer portion blocking light. I'd say that your
tree has become mature, it is no longer a juvenile. If there are
other trees impinging your spruce will lose more needles more
quickly... in a forest it would be bare except for its crown. There's
probably nothing to be concerned about, have patience till spring.
Sixty feet is pretty spectacular growth for a 20 year old black hills
spruce, they tend to have a slow/medium growth rate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picea_glauca

dont give him a false sense of security. it may be a problem after all.