Old 18-11-2011, 06:18 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
They were the ones i first looked at Janet but either they want a lot of
money or they don't seem to want actual horticultural skills but meet
and greet etc.
I'm involved in two lots of conservation:

i) Natural England, on the Ingleborough NNR. Lots of variety and opportunity to learn new skills. At the moment we're dry-stone walling

ii) as you know, managing a local nature reserve on behalf of the local Council - again, lots of variety, and because we determine what is to be done, lots of opportunities to use skill and knowledge. We've done a lot of tree planting, bulb planting, we're developing a wild flower meadow, and a bog area. We've built a stone bridge, and put in some "mini waterfalls' into the stream to improve oxygenation and add to the variety of water sounds as you walk through the area.

This area started in 1980 when a local man asked the Council if he could clear up a derelict ex-mill site - so you could always start your own group!

Other possibilities: British Waterways are turning over a lot more of the canal-side maintenance to volunteers

Your local footpath group may need help keeping paths clear, mending stiles and so on. Have you looked at
Volunteering opportunities
Amongst other conservation things, they talk about maintaining footpaths in the Chilterns

Our Council is implementing "Big Society" by cutting down on its garden staff and inviting the public to come and work for free alongside those who are left - lots of scope there for using gardening skills, though morale of those you are working alongside may not be all you wish.

Our Council also has groups of roaming volunteers - a Sunday group and a Wednesday group - who go to a different park each day. And on the Chiltern Council website I found: "For further information on volunteering with Bucks Country Parks
contact Tim Williams or Simon Fieldhouse on 01753 511060
or e-mail "