Old 18-11-2011, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Warwick Warwick is offline

Default conservation volunteering

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:02:18 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Sounds good I've always wanted to do something like that but don't want
to just pick up litter etc., wouldn't mind getting tog rips with taking
out scrub and brambles and so on. Very therapeutic and lots of people
with same mindset.

Take a look at http://www2.btcv.org.uk/display/volunteer

Was the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers but now only uses
BTCV. Brother in law does volunteer work for them, anything from
building drystone walls to clearing rohdendrons etc. ie real, get yer
hands mucky, stuff. They also run the pay for "working holidays" but
I'm pretty sure what my BiL does is pure volunteer work. They provide
basic tools and possibly transport from a meeting point, you provide
PPE and the grunt.

Erm.. you need your own waterproof jacket and they advise on sturdy
boots but any more special PPE required for a particular job is
provided. Our local BTCV even has a good number of steel toecapped
boots for the borrowing if you need them.

Warwick